As our organisation informed on several occasions throughout the course of last year, on June 6th 2019, the international war cemetery in Valea Uzului/Úz-völgye in Harghita county became the scene of violent tensions between several nationalist Romanian organisations, the gendarmerie and members of the Hungarian community, the latter of whom formed a human chain around the cemetery in an unsuccessful attempt to prevent its illegal occupation and the desecration of its graves. The inebriated Romanian crowd became completely unmanageable, the authorities lost control over the situation. The increasingly aggressive crowd broke the gates of the cemetery, destroyed the wooden crosses placed on the graves and started hitting the Hungarians present with wood broken from the fence and flagpoles, causing great material and moral injury.

Following several months of investigations after the incident, the public prosecutor in charge decided to close the case. This prosecutor absurdly claims in his ruling that „Out with Hungarians from the country!” is a „supposed anti-Hungarian chant”, which in this case cannot be classified as a crime of incitement to hatred and discrimination on grounds that it did not refer to an entire community, only those present at the cemetery.

However, in reality, the situation at the war cemetery quickly escalated, several Romanians broke the gate of the cemetery, got in and started hitting Hungarians peacefully protesting at the scene with flagpoles, rocks and pieces of wood that they tore from the gate, they also spit on the Hungarian protesters, chanted xenophobic slogens such as „Go home!”, „Go to Budapest” and the sadly familiar „Out with Hungarians from the country!”.

In his written arguments, the prosecutor completely ignored these facts and thus considered the case to be closed. Similarly, he also ruled out the charges of incitement to hatred and discrimination, the disturbing of public order, desacration of graves, altercation and abuse of office (in the case of Romanian local officials who illegally erected a monument and several concrete crosses), and thus closed the case.